Sunday, March 20, 2011

Seinfeld's Balsamic Chicken Sandwich

I'm always on the look for new recipes. I love visiting my 2 Grandmothers because they have magazines everywhere full of great recipes. Yesterday we went to New Site for my cousin's 3 year old birthday party. I came home with a Thomas the tank engine Conductor Hat, that I plan to wear to school this week for transportation week, and a great new recipe.

In this week's Parade newspaper is a recipe for Balsamic Chicken Sandwich. It's from Jerry Seinfeld's wife, Jessica, cookbook. The article said they once had a sandwich in Italy that Jerry loved and she keep working till she figured out just how to make it. I can't imagine the one they had in Italy being any better.

Of course I had to make my own changes to her recipe. The recipe would make 6 sandwiches, so below is her recipe halved. The original also calls for broccoli puree but I didn't add that.

Balsamic Chicken Sandwich

What you need:

2 Chicken Breast
1/4 cup flour
clove of garlic
3 tablespoons of olive oil

1/2 cup of chicken broth
1/4 cup of baslmaic vinegar
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar

ciabatta rolls (I used Publix Hoagie Rolls)
tomato
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
fresh basil

Cubed the chicken. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss chicken in flour to coat. Warm olive oil over medium heat and begin cooking chicken. While the chicken begins to cook mince garlic.



I had never used real garlic or even knew how to mince it until after I got married. I love my garlic press and rarely use garlic powder anymore. First thing you need to do is pull the clove out of the bulb. Then take a knife and use the flat side to smash the skin off. Then just put in it your press and mince it. Maybe I'll do a post on garlic sometime :)

Add the 1 or 2 garlic cloves to the chicken. Let cook for 8-10 minutes.

Then add the chicken broth, balsamic vinegar, and brown sugar to the chicken. Bring to a boil and cover. Let this simmer for 10-15 minutes. You want to make sure the chicken is good and done. The chicken should soak up most of liquid.



While this is cooking preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Slice your rolls if they didn't come presliced. Wash and slice tomatoes. I used Roma tomatoes since they are the most ripe at store right now. I'll probably use them again since their taste goes well with the chicken's flavor. Top each roll with tomato slices. I then put a little cheese and basil. I froze basil from our garden last year and used that. But I would think a pinch of dried basil would work okay.

Once the chicken is done, divide the chicken among the rolls. Top with rest of the cheese. Bake for 5 - 7 minutes or until the cheese is melted.



This made enough chicken for 3 sandwichs but we only made 2. These would be great in the summer with fresh pesto or brushetta. I might even make the chicken and put over some kind of pasta once I have plenty of tomoates and basil from the garden.
Hope you enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Those look really good! Jason said he'd like to order one. Guess it means I've got to try it out myself :D

    ReplyDelete